...getting the devil out of your details
I am a knitting-fanatic, a detail-observer, a puzzle-solver, an organization-freak, a perfectionist-in-recovery. All of these attributes, along with my ability and desire to say what I mean and mean what I say, explain my knack for and love of tech editing. Whether you have a complete pattern which just needs reviewing by fresh eyes, an "almost there" pattern in need of tweaking, or a rough draft requiring some serious reading, 'riting, and 'rithmetic, I'm available to help you get your pattern cleaned up, off your desk, and on their needles.
For additional information, availability and rates, please contact me via Ravelry or email to eledixon at comcast-dot-net.
Once I receive your pattern I will
- verify pattern provides complete step-by-step instructions for intended project from cast on to finishing
- verify materials list, including yarn, notions, optional items
- verify or provide yarn info (fiber content, gauge, weight & yardage)
- review or calculate yardage estimates
- proofread/edit text & headings for typos, consistency, accuracy & clarity
- check all math calculations, including stitch counts, finished measurements, pattern repeats, row counts, sizing adjustments, etc.
- check or provide imperial/metric conversions for yardage & measurements
- review charts for accuracy and consistency with written directions
- review schematics for accuracy
- verify that legends and keys refer to all and only those abbreviations and symbols used in pattern
- pattern grading
- style sheet & pattern template assistance
- basic chart creation using Excel and CET Knitting Symbols font
- chart translation to written instructions
- test knitting
References & Experience:
- Cooperative Press: Lara Neel's Sock Architecture, Deb Buckingham's Dishcloth Diva Knits On!, Fresh Designs series, Comfort of a Friend Shawl
- Heather Ordover of Craftlit: Novel Socks, Downton Daisy's Hat, Holly Golightly Pedicure socks, Cheddar the Craftlit Critter, Hunger Games Extreme Socks
- Sara Gresbach of Addiesma Designs: garments, accessories
- Justyna Lorkowska of Lete's Knits: garments, accessories
- Toby Roxane Barna: shawls, etc.
- knitgrrl [virtual] studio's Tech Editing class, taught by Alexandra Virgiel
- Craftsy's "Knit Lab: Fit Your Knits" with Stefanie Japel, "How to Say It: Pattern Writing for Knitters" with Edie Eckman, and "Sizing Knitwear Patterns" with Faina Goberstein